Question
Posted by: topaz_sa | 2007/06/07

rubella vaccine

I had some blood tests done, and they said that I wasn't immune to Rubella, so I had the rubella vaccine. How long should I wait before I try to fall pregnant?

Are there any tests that my husband should do before we start trying?

The literature varies but i would suggest that you wait at least 8 weeks. There are no tests for your husband with regards to Rubella.

5
Posted by: tulip | 2007/06/07

Hi topaz_sa,

I had the exact same problem as you, but the problem I had was that I was already pregnant!! The gynae just advised me not to go near children who may have German Measles/Rubella and make sure that once the baby is born I got my injection, which I did. I now have a beautiful healthy little girl and all is well. I know how you feel. I couldnt stop stressing throughout my pregnancy as I was so scared of contracting it!

Anyway good luck, and yes you must wait 3 months before conceiving, but if you do conceive sooner stay away from little children. Hope you dont teach at a nursery school, because that is what the gynae asked me first!!!!

Reply to tulip
Posted by: Dee | 2007/06/07

U need at least 3 months for immunity against rubella to be successful. Nothing would happen if u got preg now but if u were to come into contact with someone who has GM then u wouldnt be immune against it and u really dont want to have to deal with deciding what to do.

Reply to Dee
Posted by: topaz_sa | 2007/06/07

What would happen if I did fall pregnant in this time - say in 1 months time?

Reply to topaz_sa
Posted by: Nix | 2007/06/07

I agree with Annies wait 3 months. no other testing required. good luck and most of all enjoy. just remember it doesn't always happen the first time you try. it takes up to a year for a healthy couple who have sex 3 times a week to fall pregnant. good luck.

Reply to Nix
Posted by: annies | 2007/06/07

You should wait 3 months.

Reply to annies