Question
Posted by: Lee | 2006/11/14

RP

hello,
Just a quick question.
My Mother in law as RP, it started in her early twenties but she still has average sight (in sun light).
How is this transfered genetically? Her son (my husband) has been checked and found not to have. But how can this affect my children (both Boys 2 years and 5 years old).
Lee-Ann.

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Lee

There are different forms of RP so best will be to talk to a genetic counsellor to take a detailed medical and family history required for accurate risk assessement. Genetic testing is offered at the University of Cape Town so please contact Prof Jacquie Greenberg for more information.

Regards, Maritha