Question
Posted by: mark | 2004/01/13

row or not to row

hi.
i wanted to know whether doing cardio on the rowing machine is just as effective as mybe a bike or treadmill.im a very big man and also tall and doing the treadmill doesnt always feel like heaven.just wanted an alternative that works and also spares me my knees.

Hi Mark

Rowing is really good – rowers actually have some of the most impressive physiology that you can possibly measure. You won’t be aiming for that level, but it really is a good session. I’m sure if you jump on the machine, you’ll feel it in a little while – you can get a great session from rowing. The one thing that you must bear in mind is that it is a repetitive activity, and so if you do it for long periods, the risk of injury is still there. But, if you just combine the tyupes of exercise, you get variety and this is great for your mind and body. So, my advice would be to do a little running, cycling, rowing etc. The main thing again is that you must accumulate 45 minutes of cardio exercise 4 or 5 times a week – that is the key, and it is not important how you do it.