Question
Posted by: Jacqui | 2006/04/12

Rottweiler puppy & mites?

Hi there,
My 10wk old rottweiler male pup has been diagnosed as having mites. His head is going bald!! Anyhow, the vet gave a dip for us to use. How does he contract mites? And also, is there something I can apply like petroleum jelly for around his eyes?
Thanks...

They very often contracted from the mother. The mother does not necessarily show any symptoms, but the puppies may get it while suckling. Follow the treatment advice of your veterinarian. Veterinarians treat these conditions frequently and should be up-to-date with the latest treatments.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: Helga se ma | 2006/04/12

Avian insect liquidator works very well on young puppies.
Just spray the affected area once or twice and the mites are gone. Because it is meant for birds it will not harm your puppy. Worked on both Dalmation and Amstaff puppies.

Reply to Helga se ma
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/04/12

They are born with those mites. Most of the time they don't cause a problem, but if the dog experiences stress it can cause a visible outbreak. Just use the dip and be careful not to get it into his eyes. I'd suggest wetting cotton wool and then gently wetting the affected area, you don't have to saturate the dog. Do you want the petrolium jelly because he is losing fur around his eyes too?

Reply to Acineth