Question
Posted by: muffin | 2006/11/14

rotavirus

morning, the paediatrician does not seem to be available so hopefully you can help me? My 8 month old has just had rotavirus, with vomiting and dairrhoea, and fever and all that, this started on Friday. No vomiting since sat night, but still diarrhoea, he has loads of dirty nappies. I have had him on hydrol and re-introduced milk (infasoy) slowly. Basically I have him back on his full milk intake of about 800ml a day now and let him still have small amounts of hydrol in between. He seems fine, just the diarrhoea. Should I be worried or doing anything differently?

Dear Muffin
If he is eating and drinking OK with no fever - hang in there. Do you put inteflora/probiflora into every bottle?
You could ask the pharmacist to give you some Kaopektin solution to just bind the stool a little - the pediatricians don't like to give anything to stop the stool as they feel that the germs should come out! But being a mother, the kaopektin does make it less unpleasant and does spare the poor red bum a bit.