Posted by: dee | 2005/12/03

rotator kraag sindroom

my mother has been diagnosed with "rotator kraag sindroom". I would like to find out what this mean as well as the cause and the consequences

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Dee,
It is a inflammation of the muscles around the shoulder, holding the arm into the shoulder joint. It is caused by tearing of the tendons of the muscles when lifting heavy objects or doing repeated actions with the shoulder like in swimming. Older people tend to get it because their muscles are not so strong and they injure it more easily. Under the tendons that attach to the shoulder you get a fluid filled sac called a bursa, which can also get inflammation. The problem can be treated by rest first, then strenghtening the muscles around the shoulder with physiotherapy, taking anti inflammatory medication and occasionally a cortisone injection. Some patients need an operation to repair the tear. If left untreated the shoulder becomes painfull and stiff and the muscles become weak in that arm.
See more on

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.