Question
Posted by: dee | 2005/12/03

rotator kraag sindroom

my mother has been diagnosed with "rotator kraag sindroom". I would like to find out what this mean as well as the cause and the consequences

Dear Dee,
It is a inflammation of the muscles around the shoulder, holding the arm into the shoulder joint. It is caused by tearing of the tendons of the muscles when lifting heavy objects or doing repeated actions with the shoulder like in swimming. Older people tend to get it because their muscles are not so strong and they injure it more easily. Under the tendons that attach to the shoulder you get a fluid filled sac called a bursa, which can also get inflammation. The problem can be treated by rest first, then strenghtening the muscles around the shoulder with physiotherapy, taking anti inflammatory medication and occasionally a cortisone injection. Some patients need an operation to repair the tear. If left untreated the shoulder becomes painfull and stiff and the muscles become weak in that arm.
See more on http://www.scoi.com/cuffdise.htm