Question
Posted by: sufferer | 2008/05/23

Rosacea and Accutane

I have had Rosacea for several years. Pimples are REALLY coming out on my cheek and especially my chin area and causes me great embarassment. I am at the point of being rather reluctant to set foot out of the house. I have read that Accutane can help for Rosacea. Will I be able to use it? I take Glucosamine for slight knee pain and the doctor has told me that I have slight Osteo-arthritis. I do not have high cholesterol, diabetes, high blood pressure or other serious problems.

Also, can you recommend a great dermatologist in Southern Suburbs or otherwise anywhere in Town? Thanks.

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Rosacea is normally treated with oral tetracycline antibiotics, i.e. tetracycline, doxycycline, minocycline and topical antibiotics such as metronidazole, are usually the first line of defense prescribed by doctors to relieve papules, pustules, inflammation and some redness. Topical azelaic acid such as Finacea or Skinoren may help reduce inflammatory lesions, bumps and papules. Oral antibiotics may help to relieve symptoms of ocular rosacea. If papules and pustules persist, then sometimes isotretinoin can be prescribed. Isotretinoin has many side effects and is normally used to treat severe acne but in low dosages is proven to be effective against papulopustular and phymatous rosacea.

I suggest that you contact your nearest hospital in order to get details of a dermatologist in your area.

Kind regards

1
Posted by: mandy | 2008/08/28

Do you know of antibiotic roller balls to treat rosacea - are any available in south africa? if so, where from and how much?

Reply to mandy