Posted by: Michelle | 2008/07/29

Hi Dr

I took your advice and saw my Dermatologist. He diagnosed Rosacea with hyperpigmentation. He told me to stop using all my products and has advised me what to use. He gave me a script for a month. The brochures I received say you must use a non-comedogenic foundation and sunscreen. He did give me a sunscreen to use but what does non-comedogenic mean. Can u recommend a few names of foundation before I go to the beauty counter and purchase the wrong item. The Dr did advise me to stop using the product that I am using at the moment as it could just make the conditions worse. Please advise.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Michelle, thank you for getting back to me.

If a product is labeled non-comedogenic it means that it is not acne forming, oil free, and does not clog pores. I unfortunately do not know which of the over the counter makeup and foundations are oil free, however, the newer mineral based makeup formulations should be 100% oil free and should not predispose you to developing further outbreaks.
My preference for an oil free and non-comedogenic sun screen is the Heliocare range. They have a gel SPF 50 and a compact skin cover SPF 50 that are oil free and non-comedogenic.

A relatively new technology using LED lights has been used to treat acne, pigmentation, and Rosacea successfully –known as the Omnilux, and you may want to discuss this option with your dermatologist in the follow up consultations. You can get more information on the Omnilux and a good link (under Useful Links tab) for Rosacea on my web page: