Question
Posted by: nins | 2004/10/05

Rooibos

is it true that rooibos blocks iron absorption, i give my 1 yr old organic baby rooibos thinking rooibos actually had added iron, can i continue and is two cups a day too much?

Nins, the tannates in tea may decrease the absorption of iron not derived from meat. As far as I know rooibos isn’t tea – it’s sticks and leaves and who knows what else. :-) DietDoc should be able to tell you whether it does, but I doubt that it contains enough to do any harm. Anyway, if you’re worried about it you can give him a multivitamin that contains vitamin C – the only common food element to increase bioavailability. Good luck.
PS Another common “food” cause of decreased bioavailability of iron not derived from meat is bran, so don’t overdo it if you’re a vegetarian.