Question
Posted by: nini | 2004/10/05

ROOIBOS

I give my 14 month old black organic babies rooibos tea and she will only drink it with one teaspoon of sugar in it, what i need to know is is it true that rooibos causes iron not to be absorbed properly from the food i.e. she might not develope iron deficiency if i give her too much rooibos, how much is too much for her age. I thought rooibos actually had iron in it and that including it in her diet is good for the iron now i hear it blocks absorption of the iron?? pls clarify i use the organic one or otherwise the annique one for babies.

Dear Nini
All teas that contain polyphenols that have such a positive effect on health, can unfortunately also bind iron in food and decrease its absorption. Try giving her the rooibos between meals when it can't interfere with iron absorption. So it is perfectly ok to include rooibos in her diet, but just don't give it at meals times. I trust that she is also drinking milk? If not, please get her used to drinking milk as she needs a source of calcium in her diet. In total her liquid intake (milk, rooibos and fruit juice and water) should be approx 1500 ml per day. In very hot weather she may need slightly more.

1
Posted by: Micky | 2004/10/06

My little boy is 20 months old & he has also been on black Rooibos tea since he was as 2 months old. He prefers it black with 2 spoons of brown sugar. I can assure you that my son doesn't have an iron problem - he has too much energy! What's more, he drinks nothing else - not even fruit juice, cold drinks or milkshakes & I've never had any problems with him having too little iron. I am an abolute believer in the healing powers of homeopathy & Rooibos has proven many people wrong in the long run. I have successfully used it to cure eye & other infections, skin irritations & upset tummies. It's also the only thing a sick, dehidrated, feaverish, vomitting child keeps in. It is also far healthier than juices & cordials. If you are worried about what you give him, I can recommend Annique's baby tea. I can assure you that you will get as addicted to it as he will! From on mother to another (although not a medical specialist), only you know what is best for your child & you should go with your instincts.

Reply to Micky