Question
Posted by: Trish | 2004/01/29

Romance & pennies

Dear Shrink

Reading your response to my query "where has the romance gone" shows me how good you are at your job. I do give more financially and often feel taken for granted and de-motivated. I full understand his situation and don't begrudge him anything. However I do expect something in return, no matter how small just thoughtful things and not housework or making dinners at home because we share those things equally and it can't be regarded as something special. I feel like I'm getting irritated very quickly lately with everything and lashing out which in turn just fuels the lost feeling I already have. I put a love note in his work bag and he really appreciated which I know he sincerely does. And we had a lovely night last night. Though this morning something as small as me pointing out that he was taking "forever" in the shower sparked an argument and we didn't even say goodbye to each other. I do love him so much and this is killing me bcos I'm turning into this monster who moans all the time and I cannot pin it down to why. I have a feeling it is the financial burdens laid down on me but is that possible? Can you shed some light on this for me please. I would really appreciate any help.

Dear trish,
Well, pleased to hear you two had a "lovely night" last night. Nice in its own right, and a useful reminder that you both CAN be that happy together. This morning's spat suggests that there are still issues needing to be dealt with and worked through, and that he may be unduly sensitive to criticism. Now, I wonder what would have happened, instead, if rather than understandably nagging that he'd spend forever in the shower, you'd joined him in the shower, saying "I'm sure you won't mind, love, but I'm running late, and I don;t mind getting closer to me --- can you do my back ? ) ?