Question
Posted by: J | 2006/11/06

Roaming Golden Retriever

We have 2 dogs - a 5 year old Golden Retriever and a 1 year old Jack Russell. For the last 5 days our Golden Retriever (female)has managed to dig under our fence - we stay on a smallholding, and we have found her in the same property about 1km away. Luckily the woman who owns the property has been very understanding and phoned us immediately. We have repaired and patched the fence to what we thought was secure, only to have her get out again. We now have to completely refence the entire one section (much to our dismay as we are moving in a month). Both dogs have been microchipped as well.

My question is, what makes a dog do this? She has the most loving parents (us) we adore her, care for her, and treat her with the utmost love. It is most upsetting for us. We have had to confine them both indoors until the fence gets redone this week.

My neighbour who witnessed this on 2 occassions said the male Jack Russell just sits and watches her go.

We are seeing an animal behaviourist this evening about it, but has anyone ever known this to happen?

The behaviourist will look into all the possible causes and ccome up with a plan for you. Hopefully the move will also lead to a change of routine and hopefully less roaming.

2
Posted by: J | 2006/11/06

Hi WR

Yes she has been spayed. She is by nature a very homely, sensitive dog. It is so unusual for her.

We take them for a long walk about 3 - 4 times a week.

I must say this last week has been one of the most stressful times of my life. I worry that she gets out and perhaps gets knocked down etc. Hence the reason I've had to keep them indoors. Although my little monkey of a Jack Russell has taken to jumping out the open lounge windows :-)

Reply to J
Posted by: WR | 2006/11/06

Hi there!

Firstly: Has she been spayed? If not; it could be that she is on heat, and looking for a male to mate with.
Secondly; it could be that she just has too much energy - do you take her for frequent walks? Yes, I know it sounds weird, but even dogs that live on big yards, wouldn't excercise themselves, thus leaving them with heaps of energy that they want/ have to get rid of.
Dogs are by their very nature roamer, and I don't think you have to feel bad because she is 'leaving' you!

Good luck!

Reply to WR