Question
Posted by: Brock | 2004/11/15

Road accidents vs Shark attacks

I constantly read about the amount of shark attacks vs road accidents and how this analogy is suppose to make you feel safer in the water. Surely one must look at the ratio in terms of the number of people on the road and in the water and then make a conclusion?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Yes, of course you have to look at the ratio, not the absolute numbers. The point I was trying to illustrate was that there are more serious risks people face than shark attacks - and your chances of being in a road accident are definitely higher. This is not the same as the exact ratio i.e. the number of annual shark attacks as a percentage of people in the water vs road accidents as a percentage people on the roads, but even so, I still think the latter would be higher! I'll try to find out the figures - it would be interesting to know.

You're right, though, it doesn't really help you feel safer in the water knowing you're more likely to be killed in a road accident...

2
Posted by: Another scuba diver | 2004/11/17

We HAVE to be on the roads, we do not have to be in the sea!

Reply to Another scuba diver
Posted by: Scuba diver #2 | 2004/11/15

There is also other factors that you need to take into consideration. The avg. city driver spend at least 2 hour a day on the road, everyday, while a scuba diver dives about say 2 hours a week, if you are a regular weekend diver. This might have some differences on your stats!

Reply to Scuba diver #2