Question
Posted by: Liza | 2004/10/28

Rivotril

Is this part of the benzodiazepam group of medication? And how addictive is it? My psychiatrist put me on it for anxiety (suffer from GAD and major depressive disorder) I also take molipaxin 150mg at night, 75mg Lamictin twice a day as chronic medication. She also prescribed Imovane, which I have stopped on my own because I sleep better without it.

Thanx

Expert ImagePharmacist

Liza,

To answer your question: Yes, Rivotril is a benzodiazepine and dependence on benzodiazepines is a well-documented phenomenon. Treatment withdrawel should be by means of a slow step-wise reduction of dosage.