Question
Posted by: pp | 2008/01/22

ritalin

I've heard there is a "diet" called a ritalin free diet. It helps children who should be on ritalin but whose parents are not happy to put them on Ritalin. It seems o help the child through diet rather than medication. Do you know of it and if so where can I get a copy? Thanks

Dear PP
Research indicates that diets that are free of all preservatives, colourants and flavourants do benefit children with ADHD. In addition it is a good idea to increase the intake of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in the diet of children with ADHD. I do not have a copy of such a diet, so would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assist you with the additive-free diet but still ensure that you child gets all the nutrients he or she needs for normal growth and development.