Question
Posted by: Shona | 2007/07/26

Ritalin

Hi there, I would like to know if my child has to go on ritalin will he have to be on it for the rest of his life or do they eventually grow out of it?

Not necessarily. Some people do seem to grow out of it, in others it develops into an Adult form of ADHD, which is slightly different in it's symptoms, and may need different management. Early treatment with something like Ritalin may improve the kid's chances of having a more normal childhood and being better able to learn to cope with his other symptoms

3
Posted by: Justme | 2007/07/26

My son has been on ritalin for almost 3 weeks. He is almost 6. I was one of those parents who said I would never ever put my child on ritalin. But when he started Grade 0, he was very disruptive, wouldn't sit still, easily distracted, fidgety, very hyper and always in trouble. The teacher and I decided to have him assessed with an eductional psychologist. She said he probably had ADHD and asked me to do as much research as I could and to try keep an open mind. From all the specilaists I have spoken to that have spent time with my son, occupational therapist, speech therapist, his teacher, psychologist and paediatrician, everyone maintains he is very bright but just doesnt focus. I have been told and read that in children that eally need it, the benefits far outweigh any negatives.

Well he has been on it for almost 3 weeks. It works only during the day and at home he is his normal self. The difference at school is phenomenal. It is helping reach his true potential. I have also found that the more open minded I have appeared, the more people have been willing to share their positive stories. Many are reluctant to admit their children are on it because of the bad stigma attached.

Most children do grow out of it and learn to concentrate on their own as they get older.

Good Luck

Reply to Justme
Posted by: MA | 2007/07/26

My son is also on ritalin. When i first heard that i had to put him on ritalin i was sceptical and looked for everything negative in ritalin... but now i know that it is the best thing i have done for him. Kids with add eventually find ways and means to cope in their areas of disabilities. hopw this helps.

Reply to MA

I don't think ADHD is something you outgrow, it's always part of you and as you get older you learn to manage it better.

Visit www dot dore dot co dot za and try to find the book Brain Gym by Dr Melodie de Jager.