Question
Posted by: Blue | 2004/10/28

Risky pregnancy and driving long distance

I would like to know if it is riskly for me to drive long-distance (4.5 hours one way) going saturday and comig back sunday. I'm 6 weeks pregnant and I've had a miscarriage before (that's why I said riskly pregnancy on the subject).

Your opinion will be appreciated

Probably best not to.

2
Posted by: Arabella | 2004/10/28

During pregnancy a woman's concentration is sometimes not what it should be. So, yes, indirectly you are at increased risk if you drive long distances on the National Road while pregnant, because you are more likely to be involved in an accident. If you suffer from pregnancy related fatigue, this could place you at still greater risk.

I would never be prepared to travel nine (9) hours for the sake of one day. It is just not worth my time, effort or petrol, even in my non-pregnant state. On principle, I simply never dream of doing it.

Reply to Arabella
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/10/28

Let's see what doc says and I suggest you phone your doctors as well, but I would strongly advice against it.
I also had a miscarriage at 11 weeks in 2000 and a successfull pregnancy this year, but also a threat at 7 weeks and the doc specifically said no driving and flat on my back for a week, so I would not do it if I were in your shoes.
Even if you are safe to drive, you should stop every hour and walk around the car for a bit to get circulation going.

Reply to Kippie