Question
Posted by: BZ | 2005/12/12

Risk - Yasmin?

I purchased Yasmin birth control pills over the counter, no prescription was needed. The pamphlet provided advised against taking the pills if thrombosis or high blood pressure, amongst other conditions, are present. I have a family history of both – my mother had a deep vein thrombosis about 15 years ago, and my father has high blood pressure. I would like to know if it would be a risk to take the pills? I am 24 years old, not overweight, and I do not smoke. I have never used any other hormonal contraceptive.

Dear BZ,
If your BP is normal and you've never had thrombosis, you're not overweight and not smoking, you should be oK. Maybe it will be a good thing just to have a full medical check up before starting it.