Question
Posted by: opal | 2003/12/04

risk post caesar (infection)

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice,I am 24 weeks pregnant with my second little boy.With my last birth I had a normal birth with vantouze,and as a result had a rather large episiotomy (+-5 cm long). The birth was wonderful,but 3 days after I was discharged I developed an infection or haematoma under the episiotomy site.This resulted in me spending a further 4 days in hospital on intravenous antibiotics,despite me taking the 4xdaily sitzbaths with salt water.That experienc was a bit unpleasant,as the pain was even more intense than the birth..
What I would like to know is...I have booked for a caesarian section this time +- the 15th to the 19th of March 2004,with a bikini cut,but Im so afraid it might happen again...
Is there any advice anyone can give me regarding possibly reducing the risk of haeamatoma/infection this time...or has anyone possibly been in the same situation as me??
I would appreciate any advice anyone can give
Thank you!!!

Postoperative infections and haematomas are dependent on a number of factors. These include your immune system, the way the area heals, your weight and factors related to the surgery. Things you could do would be to lose weight if this is applicable, take multivitamins and ensure a healthy lifestyle - no smoking, etc. Also tell the surgeon that you had problems before so that he/she can take extra care with the surgery. Unfortunately, despite all these precautions, infections can still occur.