Question
Posted by: Not Sure | 2005/12/09

Rippex and elephant tea

Dear Doc,

I see the people on the forum are going crazy about these Rippex pills combined with drinking elephant tea (the tea I gathered was like a laxative) do you know the Rippex pills? what does it actually do and is it safe?

I am on weighless and would like a mild appetite supressor - just for all the cravings and over weekends. I use to eat a lot of sweets and chips etc - and am realy battling. I am not hungry - but the cravings are driving me mad - it is more like eating comford food - always craving the forbidden!

Please advise.

Dear Reader
I think these Rippex pills probably contain compounds like ephedrine, pseudo-epinephrine or synephrine. Such products can cause dependence, addiction, tremors, insomnia, palpitations, irritability, psychotic reactions, etc. These products have been banned in many countries because of their negative side-effects, which include addiction and dependence. The elephant tea also sounds pretty dangerous as continuous diarrhoea caused by harsh laxatives can cause loss of normal bowel function (leading to dependence on laxatives to have bowel motions) and deficiencies. Please try to control your cravings by eating some fruit or popcorn or even the odd sweet. You don't mention what diet you are using, but it may be too low in carbohydrate content which would make you crave sweet foods. If you have a need for comfort food then it may also help to consult a clinical psychologist to free you of this dependence on food as a crutch.
Hang in there