Question
Posted by: Master B | 2008/06/23

Ringing Ears Due to Gun Shots

Dear Doc,

I went with some boys on a weekend away, and fired a glock for a couple of shots at the shooting range. I have not done this sort of thing before, and my ears have both been ringing since then. This occured yesterday afternoon.

Please advise, as to how this noise will go away.... and how long.

Dear Master B
This is called tinnitus, caused by noise injury of the inner ear and hopefully will clear up within a few days. Repeated loud noise like listening to an ipod set too loudly for more than 2 hours per day can cause permanent tinnitus and deafness.
Please remember ALWAYS to use ear plugs or muffs when you go shooting. Keep your ipod's settings on a lower level, and avoid any loud noise like rock concerts etc especially while you are suffering from tinnitus.