Posted by: dad | 2009/01/23

rights of a dad

What rights does a dad have when the ex wife decides that she is moving away with the kids. What happens with the every second weekend visits and the cost of fetching the children. I must travel 600km to be able to see my kids!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDivorce support expert

Not so long ago there was an article in the YOU about a Mom who took her kids out of the country and even though the father appealed, the court ruled in favor of the mother.

It is a very hard situation. Could alternative arrangements be made such as having them longer over holidays and setting up a webcam and Skype for daily or weekly communication?
It will require some adjustments, but long distance relationships are not necessarily doomed.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Small | 2009/02/20

I am sharing the same sentiments with you that entities you had
mentioned seems to me they are not working because most of
their recommendations are not binding this bitter womens who
used childrens but if a man is not paying maintenance you will
feel that Justice is there they will take u to pillar to post infavour
of these womens i been to court and we were issued with expense form then when the court resume she delibarately came
to court without the expense form she claimed that our kids were
schooling at Multiracial school whereby she is paying on monthly
basis transport school fees no proof was presented to the court
i had mine but the magistrate and Maintenance Officer but the
proceeded she was granted an increase without considering my expense of which i am black listed to but she changes hairstyles
on monthly basis nothing is done really justice favours these bitter womens really all mens are quilty b4 you take a stand

Reply to Small
Posted by: Harry | 2009/01/27

GT, I have been struggling and crying endless rivers of tears because I have had so much trouble seeing my baby due to my ex' s crap. I have been all over, to courts, wellfare, family advocate, the works, and like you say, everybody gives you the same story - you are the father, these are your rights. But as I stand here as a very disgruntled South African father, there is not one person capable of assisting me with my problems. Yes, in theory and a few law books, if a mother moves her child anywhere or refuses visitation, she must be arrested. Show me one case (excluding violent murders or rapes, etc crimes) of where the mother refused and was arrested. It does not happen. If I' m wrong, sorry, and I would please want that arresting officer' s contact details because I know of another one that must be locked away forever.

Reply to Harry
Posted by: GT | 2009/01/26

Also the ex can be made to pay for the transport cost for the children back and forth. If the ex is planning on doing it go to the children courts and the welfare.
Do not allow people to convince you that the ex can do what the F....... she wants. Father' s has more rights and responsibilities.

Reply to GT
Posted by: GT | 2009/01/26

The parent are not allowed to removed the children from the municipal jurisdiction unless agreed upon by both parents or if the court agrees.
With the new children' s act the primary care giver cannot make any decision without the consent from the other parent eg moving the children to a different school or moving to a diff part of the country. They can loose custody of the children.
If I recall correctly it is+- 20 km

Reply to GT

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.