Question
Posted by: Jane | 2005/06/21

Right Gear for Exercise

Hi you guys,

I know this is a question for Fitness Doc but since her site is closed till early July, I thought I'll ask you guys.
I want to start jogging. But I know you need the right shoes for this as I will jog on a tarred road.
Can someone advise me on relatively cheap jogging shoes? I went to TotalSports and they have lovely shoes but I cant pay R7 to 800 for a pair of shoes if I don't know if I will like jogging.

Can someone help?

if you've looked up my picture in "who is", you'll recogniz that I am definitively no jogger ! But I'm sure some of our unfailingl helpful readers will come up with some good suggestions ! I think the high cost of running and similar shoes is scandalous and a rip-off

2
Posted by: Liza | 2005/06/22

If you want to jog - you're going to have to be willing to spend the money for proper shoes. Cheaper shoes is just going to ruin your feet, your knees and your hips. People always seem to think that starting to jog is the cheapest form of exercise - sorry to burst your bubble, but if you DO like jogging and want to continue, it gets even more expensive than some other sports.

What you can do, is get the cheapest, most comfortable shoes you can find and start walking - not jogging. Speed walking uses up just as many calories jogging, gives you the same amount of cardiovascular exercise and is much easier on the feet, knees and hips.

Good luck with the exercise
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: quotation | 2005/06/21

I'm a mild jogger, about 3 to 5 km on the treadmill 5 days a week. Shoe "Saucony", about R600 to R700 a pair, and buy one size bigger than your normal shoe. Enjoy, it lovely.

Reply to quotation