Question
Posted by: Annie | 2005/06/18

Ridged nails & hormone deficiency

Dear GynaeDoc,
I am 56, and have used Evorel Conti patches for 5 years now. I am well, not overweight, non-smoker.
Over the last year my nails have developed longitudinal ridges, which have become quite pronounced. A friend said that her gynae told her this was due to Oestrogen deficiency. My levels were tested some time ago, and found to be just in the normal range, - using the patch. I do not know my current levels.

Is there any truth in this theory linking nail ridges and oestrogen levels in postmenopausal women using HRT?

Thank you.
Annie.

I have never heard of this connection.