Question
Posted by: oj | 2006/10/27

rickettsia

I remember reading with interest the conversations on this site about rickettsia being the cause of all sorts of symptoms and referrals to a particular doctor. Recently I came across an article on South African tick-bite fever wherein it was called rickettsia. Is this the same thing? Actually I had tick-bite fever as an infant 50 years ago and I wonder whether it could have had any after-effects.

Dear OJ
Yes tick bite fever is caused by one of the Rhickettsia ( a group of gram negative intracellular bacteria). You can have a blood test to see if you are infected or not.