Question
Posted by: Maureen | 2004/02/07

Rhuematoid factor in blood

I have been having pain in my knees and went to see a orthopedic surgeon who took blood tests and the results showed my Rheumatoid Factor is 40. Is this something to be concerned about? Does this mean I have Rheumatiod Arthritis? Will the disease eventually progress or how can I keep it at bay? The Doctor gave me Athrotec 75 and told me to take 2 a day but the medication makes me nauseas and swollen (fluid retention I think). I am 32 now and female. What do I need to do to still live a normal life and is there any other medication I should look at taking? After being on Arthrtec for 4 days now my kness still feel weak and I generally feel dizzy from the medicine but I am too afraid to stop taking it in case it means the disease spreads...PLEASE HELP! Also, is there any good rhematologist you can recommend in the Durban area?

Expert ImageArchive

I think you should get a referral from your GP to see a rheumatologist. Rheumatoid Factor must be interpreted in combination with the clinical features. It is not specific for RA and can also be positive in chronic inflammatory conditions and immune complex diseases.

2
Posted by: Tricia | 2004/12/07

My rhuematoid factor has been between 50-80 over the past year and a half in 4 blood tests. I just went to my 4th Rheumatologist. The last one said "Some people just have a high R Factor. You are going to have to live with sore joints and feeling tired." Can a Rheumatologist be certain I don't have Rheumatoid Arthritis?

Reply to Tricia
Posted by: kitkat | 2004/03/12

My Dr. just told me that I had a high reading of rheumatoid factor in my blood, what could this mean...it was about 64 points higher than normal.

Reply to kitkat