Posted by: Maureen | 2004/02/07

Rhuematoid factor in blood

Hi Doc

I have been having pain in my knees and went to see a orthopedic surgeon who took blood tests and the results showed my Rheumatoid Factor is 40. Is this something to be concerned about? Does this mean I have Rheumatiod Arthritis? Will the disease eventually progress or how can I keep it at bay? The Doctor gave me Athrotec 75 and told me to take 2 a day but the medication makes me nauseas and swollen (fluid retention I think). I am 32 now and female. What do I need to do to still live a normal life and is there any other medication I should look at taking? After being on Arthrtec for 4 days now my kness still feel weak and I generally feel dizzy from the medicine but I am too afraid to stop taking it in case it means the disease spreads...PLEASE HELP! Also, is there any good rhematologist you can recommend in the Durban area?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageArchive

I think you should get a referral from your GP to see a rheumatologist. Rheumatoid Factor must be interpreted in combination with the clinical features. It is not specific for RA and can also be positive in chronic inflammatory conditions and immune complex diseases.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Tricia | 2004/12/07

My rhuematoid factor has been between 50-80 over the past year and a half in 4 blood tests. I just went to my 4th Rheumatologist. The last one said "Some people just have a high R Factor. You are going to have to live with sore joints and feeling tired." Can a Rheumatologist be certain I don't have Rheumatoid Arthritis?

Reply to Tricia
Posted by: kitkat | 2004/03/12

My Dr. just told me that I had a high reading of rheumatoid factor in my blood, what could this was about 64 points higher than normal.

Reply to kitkat

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.