Question
Posted by: anon | 2007/05/17

rhinitis?

Dear Dr

I went into hospital for a scope yesterday. They gave me oxygen through my nose and as soon as I came around from the anaesthetic my left nostril felt really itchy, uncomfortable, I have a runny nose, its tingling, itchy and a watery left eye (alll on the left hand side) My sinus area also seems painful on the left and my left bottom jaw. I feel like I have some kind of allergic rhinitis or could it be from the scope and anaesthetic. What over the counter meds can I take...or should I go see my GP.

Thanks Doc really appreciate your answers and taking the time with all the questions here.

Dear Anon
You probably picked up an infection - try rinsing with saltwater ( 1 cup of lukewarm water + 1/2 teaspoon salt), put some decongestant nose jel ( ask your pharmacist).If you get feverish, the phlegm is yellow or green and the sinus is throbbing, you probably need antibiotics per mouth and have to see your doctor. Hope you feel better soon!