Posted by: Rk | 2010/05/29

Rheumetoid Arthirits


1.My mom is 56 yrs old and recentely diagnosed with Rheumetoid Arthirits. Can osteopath care help with treating it?

2. My children also get bad sinus / hayfever attacks. They are under 8 yrs old. Can ostepath care help with this too?


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageOsteopath

Hello Rk,
Inflammatory arthritis such as RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS not only produces painful, swollen, and stiff joints, but affects the whole body including a breakdown in the immune system. This type of arthritis is more difficult to treat, but again Osteopathic approaches can relieve the musculo-skeletal symptoms.

Many arthritis sufferers are told that ‘nothing can be done, you just have to live with it’ or ‘pain killers and anti-inflammatory drugs are the only treatment available’. Osteopathy does not aim to reverse the damage already done to the joints but treatment can certainly ease the pain, reduce swelling, improve the stiffness and restore some joint mobility. As a result of this there is often less reliance on medication and consequently less problems with the inevitable side effects of the drugs, such as gastritis.

Treatment aims to get the best out of the affected areas by improving the mobility of arthritic joints as far as possible. Associated joints and tissues may also require treatment to ensure that they are functioning well enough to take the extra strain and compensate for the damaged joint(s) so maintaining good overall mobility.

In chronic cases it may not be the actual arthritic joint(s) that causes most of the pain. The body often naturally tries to protect the joint by splinting it with muscle spasm and it is the muscles and soft tissues that are the source of the aches and pains. Osteopathic treatment can reduce this excessive muscle tension, ease the pain and improve movement.

Osteopathy can also assist with your childrens sinus problems

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Lerato | 2010/06/18

I have somthing like hard lumps on my risk, i like to know couses

Reply to Lerato

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.