Question
Posted by: Elizabeth R | 2004/09/23

RHEUMATOID FACTOR and LOW IRON LEGELS

I have been diagnosed with high level of Rheumatoid Factor (twice within one year). Apart from neck pain and pain between my shoulders I have no other symptoms. Had a back op (fusion)many years ago due to osteoarthritis.
I now have low iron count (or whatever it is called) of 8 and feeling extremely tired, sleepy, headaches.
Also have diverticulosis. Constant pain my my lower left abdomen and Barium Enema confirmed the diagnosis. My doctor suspects that I am losing blood somehow and stool tests will be done soon.
Is it possible that the diverticulosis could cause bleeding?
Do I have to start treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis?

Elizabeth R, the blood loss might be due to the diverticulosis, but it isn’t as common as blood loss due to anti-inflammatories taken for arthritis. The best would be to see a gastroenterologist and have him determine where the blood loss is.
Pain is the deciding factor when treating rheumatoid arthritis, but treatment to slow down the progression of the disease might be a good idea. The best person to see would be a rheumatologist. Good luck.