Question
Posted by: Maureen | 2004/02/07

Rheumatoid Arthritis

I have been having pain in my knees and went to see a orthopedic surgeon who took blood tests and the results showed my Rheumatoid Factor is 40. Is this something to be concerned about? Does this mean I have Rheumatiod Arthritis? Will the disease eventually progress or how can I keep it at bay? The Doctor gave me Athrotec 75 and told me to take 2 a day but the medication makes me nauseas and swollen (fluid retention I think). I am 32 now and female. What do I need to do to still live a normal life and is there any other medication I should look at taking? After being on Arthrtec for 4 days now my kness still feel weak and I generally feel dizzy from the medicine but I am too afraid to stop taking it in case it means the disease spreads...PLEASE HELP! Also, is there any good rhematologist you can recommend in the Durban area?

Maureen, a RF of 1:40 is definitely not proof of you having rheumatoid arthritis. It sounds like the Arthrotec® is not agreeing with you and the best would be to change to a different anti-inflammatory like Celebrex® or Vioxx®. You can also ask your GP to refer you to a good rheumatologist although I doubt that it is necessary. Good luck.