Question
Posted by: jo | 2008/02/04

rh neg, with antibodies.. future pregnan

Hi there...

I am 35 years old. I have two children. After giving birth to my firstborn, I was given anti-d injection as I have B- bloodtype, and my son's bloodtype was positive. When I fell pg with my daughter, during routine bloodwork, it was discovered that my body had produced antibodies. Fortunately, the antibody levels remained low, and as such I didn't have to have an early delivery. She was born full term, 100% fine. When I asked my gynae at the time why I had antibodies as I had been given the injection, he said that blood had possibly crossed the placenta at some stage during the pregnancy, or at delivery of my firstborn. He also said that any future pregnancies would have to be closely monitored with blood being taken very regularly. If I fall pregnant again, wouldn't I miscarry as the antibodies would attack the foetus? If my antibody levels remain constant.... I assume the pg would progress normally? What would the normal course of treatment be in a case like this?

Thanks so much for your time!

It can happen that antibodies form during a pregnancy due to a small bleed across the placenta . Once you have antibodies, they will be a problem in all future pregnancies. If the antibodies remian stable you will be delivered at 38 weeks. If they increase during the pregnancy, depending on the stage, you may need early delivery, or the baby may need to be transfused in utero.