Question
Posted by: stoop dogg | 2004/02/14

Revolutionise my posture? Jo'burg area?

Hi YogaDoc and all you yoga fans. I have heard that asana yoga is really good for poor posture and I wonder if you could guide me to some classes in Johannesburg (northern suburbs). I have suffered from a depressive disorder since a very young age which has had a terrible effect on my body habitus - very slouched, stomach sticks out. Tonight a very rude ignorant moron in a pub commented on it and now more than ever I am willing to get radical and improve my stance once and for all! Is it possible? I am really willing to try, PLEASE HELP.

Expert ImageYoga

Hey Stoop Dog - well done on taking the first step to self-improvement and remember that you are doing this for yourself - not the moron in the pub (although he might have done you a favour by instigating your actions). A key facet and benefit of yoga practice is posture and postural alignment through the flexing, rotating and extending of the spine. I know of a Bikram (Hot - heated studio) and an Ishta centre in Athol in Johannesburg. You might also get your hands on a Link Up magazine at a local health store (they are distributed free) and look for other places near you. I suggest trying a few different places, teachers and styles before settling in at a place that you feel comfortable. Don't expect overnight success but with hard work and discipline you are already well on the road to the benefits that many chiropractors and back specialists acknowledge yoga can give to posture.
Good luck!
Chris

2
Posted by: stoop dogg | 2004/03/08

Thanks for the motivation! I am going to start classes soon. I'll be ready with the feedback.

Reply to stoop dogg
Posted by: 3p | 2004/02/21

Hi Stoop Dogg,

I really hope you've joined a class by now... and just in case you've been and are at the stage where you feel so lost and stiff and tired you just want to give up and slink back to the couch... this is just to encourage you.

If I can do it, you can too! Imagine an indivudual who has never, in their entire life, done any formal training (I did look into a gym once, decided it looked dangerous and backed out - but that was about 20 years ago so it doesn't count anymore!)

I started yoga about a year ago and I promise you, in the beginning its really hard... but after a few weeks it starts getting easier and inside 3 months you won't believe how much better you feel (both mentally and physically!).

Get in there and go for it!

Reply to 3p