Question
Posted by: Rose | 2007/05/15

Retiring Mom

Hi Cybershrink

My mother is moving into a retirement home (a lovely self-sufficient) one next week. I have 2 questions if you can please help me:
She has adjusted to the idea and I have reassured her that I love her and will see her often (which I will). I know she gets lonely and this is one of the main reasons for the move (she is a widow) and has health conditions. Should I leave her alone to adjust to her new friends for a couple of weeks, or should I visit her the very next weekend after she has moved in. I can sense that she is apprehensive but I also want her to feel independent and in control at the same time.

I am going to be looking after her much beloved pooch as well (a maltese who is now 7). They have been inseperable for 7 years and although I love animals and will do my best to care for her, I work all day. She is used to sleeping on the bed and being with my mother all day and night. The vet recommended 10 drops of rescue remedy from now until about 2 weeks after she has been with me. How do I get her to sleep in a basket in the lounge which is the idea? Do I close our bedroom door and leave her, or put the basket next to the bed at first. This is a very gentle doggie who is very sensitive like her owner.

ps. I know you are not Cybervet, but there must some guidelines for pooch and mom.

Thanks a lot

Why not ask your mom whether she'd prefer you to leave her for a wek or two to setle in and make new friends, or for you to visit from the first weekend ? There's no right answer inscribed on the tablets out there --- ask her.
I wish I could be a Cybervet for you, but that;s not an area of my expertise. It might not be fair to try to teach an Old dg New tricks, and better, surely, to keep as much as possible to his usual routines

3
Posted by: rose | 2007/05/15

just to say we've got a new rose here :)
welcome new Rose
(just to avoid possible confusion)

Reply to rose
Posted by: Anna | 2007/05/15

I dont know what to say about your mom but I would suggest you still go visit her often. It will make her feel at ease knowing she has you to count on.

Regarding the pooch, one thing that is for sure is that you can't change an animals behavior straight away. Because the dog is already 7 years old and your mom has brought the dog up in her certain way, the dog would still carry on with routine as usual. It's going to take time but you will have to start training the dog to follow your house rules. IN TIME!

Reply to Anna
Posted by: RMC | 2007/05/15

I'd say go see her straight away as she might fret that you will not keep your promise.

Reply to RMC