Question
Posted by: von | 2003/03/17

Retinopathy

Dearest CyberDoc,

Hoperfully you can assist, my best mate Debbie is a diabetic and has been since the age of 6, she is now 31. Recently she has undergone a series of operations on her eyes, the right eye she can no longer see out of. I can get much out of her as she is so depressed I would like to know more and understand what she is going through without having to ask her the painfull questions of her blindness. All I know is is that there was swelling of the eye, the had to operate to relieve some pressure from the eye to prevent the total blindness of the right eye. There was also a catarax that was groing over the eye.

About a week and a half ago Debbie went for another lazer operation this time on her left eye, the left eye has appatently done the same thing as the right eye. I spoke with her this morning, she told me that she cant see clearly out of the left eye she only sees blured shapes.

Is this a permanent condition, and is there anything that can be done to try and save what partial vision Debbie has left.

Thanx for your time, hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards
Von

Von, I’m sorry, but I won’t be able to tell you much without examining her first. It might be that the diabetes affected the blood vessels of the retina and that this is the cause of the blindness. Another option is that she has bed cataracts – something that is much more treatable than the afore mentioned. Good luck.