Question
Posted by: AG | 2004/10/10

Retinal degeneration / holes

I've been told by a retinal specialist that I have degeneration of both my retinas, and a hole in one of them. They want to laser weld the hole. I'm very worried about this... How safe is it? How long will recovery take? What is the prognosis for treatment, or not having treatment? I've been told I'm of a young enough age that this should not be happening (mid 20s) I have myopia, and have recently started trials for contact lenses (still wearing spectacles) How would eye strain from a large amount of study work aggrevate this? Also, my pupils were dialated by the doc when I saw him, and are still slightly dialated 3 days later.
Any help or advice. Thank you

AG, none of my patients has had problems after having had laser treatment. As far as I know the laser treatment will stop if from becoming worse, but I don’t think it will heal the problem.
Eye strain like in studying won’t affect the retina.
The pupils should have returned to normal by the time you receive this reply.
If you’re worried the best would be to get a second opinion from a different ophthalmologist. Good luck.

1
Posted by: AG | 2004/10/11

Thanks doc!
The pupils are nearly back to normal. Still a lot of sensitivity to light. I've contacted the retinal doc, and going to see him before the procedure.
Rgds

Reply to AG