Question
Posted by: dade | 2008/06/02

Restraint of Trade

Hi there,
At my company, I am a specialist in a specific product in the IT industry. I have a restraint of trade stating that for a long period of time ( several years ) after leaving the company, I will not be interested or engage in any capacity in any firm or business which carries on any activity which may be in competition with my company, to the extent that it harms the interests of my company.

Does this mean that I cannot apply for any other job relating to the product, as I have little to no experience in other products and applications, and would force me to only be able to earn a living from my current company?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

The restraints are still good in our law but for seven years it appears to be far too long. This could be challenged.

1

yes it basically means that. restraints of trade can definitely be enforced esp if it comes to specific products and clients. Take your restraint to a labour lawyer for some advice - let them see if there are any loopholes