Question
Posted by: mum | 2004/03/01

Restless Sleeper

Hi there!
Please would you offer advise on the following: I have a 9 month old baby girl, and she is such a restless sleeper that she ends up waking herself! At first I thought it was maybe an ear infection and took her to the GP,her ears are fine nothing wrong,but she tosses and turns and even groans while asleep,well to cut the long story short,none of us have had a decent nights sleep for the past 3 months! Is there anything that I could give her?
Thank you.

Expert ImageArchive

If she is sleeping so restless, it probably means that she is uncomfortable; it could be her stomach or gasses in her intestines. This can occur with the cross-over to solid foods where the digestive organs take a little time to adapt. Try to give her foods that are easy to digest, especially at supper - vegetables that are not gas forming - stick to squash, pumkin, carrot, pea, sweet potato, with a little protein such as a well cooked chicken or fish broth. Try not to give too much milk after supper, rather a rooibos tea bottle. Also use relaxing bathtime and keep as much of the environment 2 hours before bed relaxed and tranquil in the home - it is difficult for a baby to calm down and sleep properly if there is a lot of activity going on around them that they are becoming curious about.
Try this for the next 2 weeks to let her body adjust and calm down into a routine of rest at night.
(Dr Chase Webber ND)