Question
Posted by: Rest Easy | 2007/04/11

Restless Legs

Dear Cyberdoc

I have this so-called restless leg syndrome and it is literally driving me crazy. I have a spinal condition but my neurosurgeon confirmed that it is not linked. I checked all the meds I am on and apparently they are not the cause. What do you think causes this, and is there any medication that can stop it. I have been taking Spasmend when its really bad and find that some exercises give temporary relief. Its when sitting and going to bed and sometimes driving (which is the worst). Nothing seems to really help me and I find this far worse than any bad back pain (which I am no stranger to). Put it this way - why would a healthy person with no health conditions get it? Someone mentioned fibromyalgia but how do you know if you have it or suspec it?

Regards and thanks

Dear Rest Easy
See http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/restless_legs/detail_restless_legs.htm
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/restless_legs_syndrome/page9_em.htm
This is not uncommon, and sometimes anti-Parkinsons or anti-epilepsy drugs or something like clonidine may help. Ask your neurologist to try a few options?

2
Posted by: Jay | 2007/04/12

My husband has had this problem for many years (although we couldn't put a name on it till now). Quite a thing to hear someone describing the exact same thing! although his description of the 'onset' of the urge to move his legs is that it feels like an annoying 'ticklish spasm' at the base of his spine & moving his legs is the only way to keep it away.
He finds if he lies on his back in bed it makes it worse & finds lying on his side & leaning forward a bit, helps with the symptoms.

Reply to Jay
Posted by: MDF | 2007/04/11

I have the same condition, (i call it energy legs) it is the worst when I'm in bed, luckily for me it is not as bad as my dad's who get's woken up by it, I sleep through it, so I must have inherited from him, (I wake my wife up by it though) I am very healthy on no medication as I don't believe in chemicals, My blood pressure is perfect and I have no collestorol or diabetes etc. all the rest. I am 100% healthy but I have had this forever, I find that the only thing that helps for this a 45min spinning class at least 4 times a week ....... I also had back and neck problems but got that sorted out with the chiropractor ......

Reply to MDF