Question
Posted by: Lee | 2003/12/09

Restless Leg Syndrome

Hi doc. I have read somewhere once about this syndrome and it fits my symptoms perfectly. As soon as I go to sleep at night I have this funny sensation ("creepy crawlys") in my legs. It really hard to discribe it to someone, but it feels like I have to move them all the time or tense my leg muscles. It goes away for 10sec and as soon as I lie still again its back. I will eventually fall asleep, but wake up tired the next morning. I even have trouble resting my heels on the matress when lying on my back because they are tender and sore. no trouble during the day. Is there such a syndrome and can I take something for it.

Lee, the problem with restless leg syndrome is that a cause is seldom found. Treating it isn’t always easy and the treatment isn’t always successful, but the good news is that it sometimes goes away by itself. Treatment options include muscle relaxants, nerve stabilisers and even malaria medicine (quinine). Quinine has been shown to work in some cases in dosages of 300mg per day, but it can have serious effects on the heart and can therefore not always be used. At the moment Sinemet 25/100®, 1 tablet at night is the drug of choice. The best thing to do would to contact your GP so that he can confirm the diagnosis and then take it from there. Good luck.