Question
Posted by: Valkyrie | 2005/11/28

Restless knees

Please help it is driving me crazy!!! What can I do to relieve the discomfort of the Restless Knees Syndrone. I have taken extra mag with cal but it does not seem to help.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Valkyrie
Unfortunately Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) is a lifelong condition for which there is no cure at this point in time.
Massage and application of cold compresses provide temporary relief. Certain medications like temazepan, levodopa/carbidopa, bromocriptine and codein are prescribed to relieve symptoms. Even magnesium sometimes works. Current research done in the US suggests that correction of an iron defficiency may improve symptoms in some patients. Obviously movement relieves the symptoms, but you cannot do that while you try and sleep!
There is a Restless Leg Foundation which you can try if you have internet facilities. Good luck!