Question
Posted by: unsure | 2007/06/11

restless

Hi doc,
Not sure what's wrong with me..sometimes I think I just need a good kick in the bum, I am feeling restless, not quite satisfied at work, I have a good job, but feel a bit bored, but I work good hours, 7.30 to 3, so I get time to spend with my 2 small children in the afternoons, if I get another job I will forfeit these working hours, but I am not giving my all here, I feel guilty about that but no-one will know. Just don't know what I want, I think ultimately I want to spend more time with my children but as a professional we need my salary. Just feel unmotivated and disinterested, not sure what I can do about it??

Sometimes it is indeed a good kick in the bum that we need, but shrinks aren't quite trained to do that, and Medical Aid, sadly, would never pay for it ! However, practical, sensible CBT-style counselling can help one, in a situation like yours, to assess it more wisely, and to make wiser choices --- including the choice of enjoyign and being satisfied with what you have, while perhaps working towards something even more. There are ways of clarifying what would be more fulfilling, and Adding it to your present job / situation, rather than giving up any of what you have to pursue something less sure

2
Posted by: unsure | 2007/06/11

thanks keanu, yes, stupid to leave my job I know, I do feel a bit unfulfilled and have been feeling for some time I need some other activities but feel bad to take time away from the children, life's constant battle for working mums I think, but you are right, maybe I am unfulfilled in other areas of my life as well.

Reply to unsure
Posted by: Keanu | 2007/06/11

Kniw the feeling all to well unsure. Somehow I think you need to consider what other interests outside work you have. Maybe then persue outside activities that will keep your mind at work and will be good for your overall mentallity as well.

I think it's a bit dangerous to a certain degree to be considering leaving your job unless you really not satisfied and fulfilled and justifiably so. But look at that as a last resort. I feel for you cause I know the feeling of being trapped in a cocoon of daily routines. Just try it won't hurt. Maybe join the gym and take the kids with?

Reply to Keanu