Question
Posted by: Frank the Tank | 2006/11/13

Resting time after exercise

Hi. I just want to know 2 things.
1. Why should I rest a muscle group for 48 hours before exercising again? I dont do a hard workout, more like toning. I don't try and bench as much as possible or do heavy bicep curls. Can I do the same exercises every day?

2. Can you do the circuit in a gym every day?

Hi Frank the Tank

You don't HAVE to rest the muscle, it's usually recommended in most generic training programmes because it's the safety first option. Someone who is starting out with training for example, must rest because if they don't, they can easily pick up injuries. Later on, when you are pretty strong and well trained, then it is less important, though regular rest is still vital as part of the training programme, because the rest allows recovery and that is what you need to actually improve. It's not the training alone, it's the training with the rest. So my advice is that you can do consecutive days, but just be careful about doing the same thing EVERY day - that's not good.

The same goes for the circuit - every day will cause problems, including boredom and burnout, so try to mix it up if you can, and remember that rest is also very important.