Question
Posted by: Fitmad | 2005/07/26

Resting Heart Rate

What is your exact resting heart rate ? I was told to measure it in the morning while still in bed. When I do that, it's between 50-52 and if I do in the evenings (on a day I did not exercise) it's between 42-45. Why the huge difference and which one is correct. I cycle on average 80min per day and is very fit. Also, on what do you base HR percentages ie. Karnoven or age based methods ?

Hi Fitmad

Classically, your resting heart rate is the "lowest" heart rate; which for most people is upon waking in the morning whilst are lying in bed. If your lowest heart rate recorded during the day is in the evening, than I would take that value as your individual "resting" level. Perhaps you are more relaxed in the evenings than in the mornings!!! Time of day is irrelevant and used only as a common guideline to which all individuals may not "fit".

Calculating HR percentages should also be based on the individual. Methods that commonly prescribed in textbooks are based on computations from the population as a whole. Since we do not all represent the "common" population, an individual assessment of maximum heart rate should be established and percentages worked out from there. If you ride all out in a time trial for at least 5 minutes, you should reach your peak heartrate.

Good Luck and Stay Fit!