Posted by: Crystal | 2008/10/09

Rest periods vs over-training

Hallo FD

I' ve recently discovered that I' m overdoing it.
A Gym trainer told me this when I asked him why they had made the weights heavier on the circuit (LOL).

He said I should take a two day break, to allow the " torn fibers to heal properly"  and that I would feel the difference when I returned.

So I' m taking his advice, but am not sure how to carry on from here.

What would you suggest is a good Gym pattern, with the relevant rest periods in between.

I need to lose loads of weight &  get fit, but don' t want to hurt myself in the process. I would like to gym as much as possible though.
P.S I' m exercising for the first time in my life. So fitness level 0.

As usual, your advice is greatly appreciated in my quest for good health.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFitnessDoc

Hi Crystal

Difficult one. I think that given that you're starting off on this fitness path, the best thing is to train one day, take another day off. I doubt very much that you were overtrained, because this is a condition that develops only after a longer time of training. I think instead, it's likely that you were just training too much early on in the path to fitness.

So my advice is for now, go to gym four times a week, with days of rest in between training days. So one day on, one day off, and so forth. in about 3 to 4 weeks, though, you don't need the day off anymore, because you'll have adapted to the training and so won't develop the same muscle soreness and fatigue. Then you can start training on consecutive days.

You'll benefit from doing this in the long run, because right now, you're in that dangerous phase of training where you can, if you're not careful, injure yourself by doing too much too soon. And then you'd be back to square 0. So rather try to move slowly, and keep going, than move quickly with a stop later on.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Crystal | 2008/10/15

Gotcha! Thanks

Reply to Crystal

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.