Question
Posted by: ctm | 2003/02/13

Rest

There are so many different opinions on the aspect of rest (off day's). What at the end of the day is the correct answer.

I am a very keen male gymer (if that's even a word?) and am at the moment training every 2nd day but find that my body is still sore the next time I go. I train 2 body parts, 4 execises each (sepersetting them, 1 heavy, 1 light) I then do a little stomach, circuit then a little cardio. It sound like a lot but I'm only there for no more than an hour and a quarter. I'm not going for the big look but rather the athletic cut apperance with more muscle definition.

Am I resting enough considering the above. Nutrition wise - high carb's and high'ish protein with very little fat intake.

Sorry for the essay.

ctm

HI ctm

Firstly, your programme doesn't sound excessive, so keep it up. The most important training principle, is that a heavy session, is always followed by a light session the next day (if you exercise every day), since muscles take about 48hours to recover, which is also when they build up. Perhaps your weights are a little too high if your recovery is taking longer and perhaps you need to ease off a little here.

With regard to rest days, many athletes still do something on so-called rest days, but they make it really easy - a 30 minute easy swim, a walk whatever.
You've got to do what suits you. One day on - one off is fine and perhaps stick with that. I do think this should give you sufficient rest time.

Hope this helps.