Question
Posted by: ME | 2004/10/13

RESPONSE TO HYPERHIDROSIS

Hi Doc,
I was fascinated to read about the 7 year old who had a sympathectomy, but in puberty the hyperhidrosis came back. Is that because she was so young when she had the op that the nerves grew back together again?

Regards,
Linda

Linda, I can’t say for sure but it’s possible that all the nerve fibres weren’t severed (can you imagine how small the nerves must be in a 7 year old?) and that they became more and restored the function. I doubt that destroyed nerves have the ability to grow back even in a young child. Good luck.