Question
Posted by: donna | 2007/02/23

resistance bands

from: donna I would like to know if you know how much time it would take to raise your metabolism up doing band exercise. I read that once you get it there your metabolism stays up for 15 hours afterwards. Is this true? Banding is all I can do for now because of back surgery.I

Hi Donna

I guess it depends on the type of band exercises you are doing, but in general (and I hate to disappoint you), doing static exercises, like banding, only raise the metabolic rate a very small amount. It's mainly because they only activate such a small muscle mass at any time, compared to something like running or swimming, where you use all your muscles in dynamic activity. That really does increase the metabolic rate a lot more. This is not to say that you don't increase it at all - you do, and it probably does stay elevated for a long time after (I don't know the number, sorry), but it's a lot less than doing cardio training. Having said all this, you need to do them, because you can't do anything else, and so it's the best option for you. And therefore it doesn't matter whether it raises metabolic rate or not, it's the best thing to be doing right now.

Ross