Posted by: Wondering | 2009/02/16

Resigning after returning from maternity

I was on maternity leave for 4 months and subsequently was made a job offer at another company. The existing company that I work for is in a terrible state and retrenchments are being done (I wasn' t affected though). Apparently in our company' s Policies and Procedures it is stated that you should work back 12 months to the company when you come back from maternity leave. I never signed this policies and procedures and only came to know of it before I went on leave. Can the company expect me to pay or work back 12 months if I didn' t sign anything to this effect?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageLabour lawyer


Anyone may resign after they resign after they return from Maternity, however, it is important to have a look at the company's policies and procedures carefully. If you never signed or knew about the polocies and procedures then you can't be expected to be held by them.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Riana Burger | 2009/02/28

Is it possible to receive scholarship from other private company while you are permanent employed. I was terminated by the company since I wa unemployed I decided to further my studie so I then look for the fund at some private companies.I reported my matter to CCMA on the 15 december the arbitration award which order the company to reistate me and pay me the compensation which was due on 15 January2009.The company had not I contacted them and asked if they have received the award which was out on 15 December2008 . They said they have they are still going to discuss a way forward. I left my contct details. It been two months full still waiting for them to finish discissing the arbitration award and the way forward.and when the are going to pay me since I now long over due. In the mean time would I sit and wait or would I continue accepting the scholarship and further my education.please advicesm should I wait for reiststement of should I continue accepting the scholarship and further my education.

Reply to Riana Burger
Posted by: Paul | 2009/02/18

If its not signed for I would say NO.

Reply to Paul

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.