Question
Posted by: KAZ | 2007/06/19

Rescued Kitten

This is an e-mail I sent to my Cybervet friends early today:-

E-mail and Internet were down. Yesterday at work I saw a kitten from our kitchen window at work. At first I thought about rescuing the poor thing, it was begging for food at this tavern. I told the tea lady who could speak Zulu that I just need to rescue this kitten and then remembered my husbands words “we are not a zoo”. So I returned to my desk. This happened after lunch. About an hour later this kitten was on my mind and I couldn’t concentrate on my work so I went back to the kitchen and the tea lady was still there but no kitten in site. Next I see these two black guys coming out in the court yard (this is where the people come to eat), I was disheartened not to see the kitten anywhere, just as I was about to leave the kitchen I took one more glance in the court yard, suddenly this kitten comes running up to these guys looking for food. Without thinking I told the tea lady to shout at the guys to catch the kitten, they did. I’m not an athlete but boy did I fly down those stairs out our building, around the corner to the tavern. I heard this kitten screeching, when I took the kitten from this black guy he held this poor thing so tight around the neck and around its tummy, was literally suffocating. I was so grateful I was willing to give R20 to the guy that caught it but was not prepared to give it there and then because I already caused a stir when the other tavern people came out claiming it is their cat and they want R20. At the time I had my whole life in my pocket, Cell phone, house keys, car keys and my wallet. Anyway got away from there and went back to work. I got some ones attention from the tavern and gave the R20 to someone and said to give it to the guy that caught the kitten.

Anyway some at my work gave me a small Tupperware of chicken and this kitten just at it all. It turn out to be a female. She was thin but had a belly when she finished the chicken. I took the kitten to the vet after work and gave it a Rabies injection and bought her a little red colour with a red bell. Well my husband as you can imagine was not amused but at the same time smitten with her, she nuzzled up to him and fell asleep. My husband said I must find a home for it and as my two male cats keep going into the granny flat and making themselves at home, I gave the kitten to my tenant and she was very grateful and as it turns out her birthday is on Sunday so this was a birthday gift. I told her what I did what I did at the vet. Just heard now from my tenant, she is going to call her Purdy. I’m just grateful this little kitten by the way is about 9 weeks old. She looks just like Bostick except that she is lighter in colour and also has kink in her tail but not as prominent as Bosticks. One can clearly make out the S in his tail. Her tail looks straight until you feel down her tail there is a slight kink.

I feel this cat will have a better life than it did before. She is practically tame but hates dogs. She nearly scratched me to smithereens when Sasha discovered I had a cat around my neck.

Well done on homing the kitten. Please remind your tenant to have her speyed by 6 months.

2
Posted by: KAZ | 2007/06/21

Thanks Carol for the advice I will do so. I took some pictures last night of Purdy. One particular picture I clicked just as a poo was dropping into her litter tray. Maybe say it is a censored photo. LOL. Since rescuing this kitten now the tea lady and one guy that works in my section want to bring me kittens all of a sudden. The tea lady says she is scared of cats so won't bring it but her daughter obviously was told the story of my rescue asked her mom if she caught these kittens she must bring them to me. Now suddenly they want me to take in all the rescues.

My husband would have fit. Maybe when my mother-in-law eventually moves into the granny flat we could do something like that not now. My mother-in-law can't say no to a cat.

Scruff is now officially larger than Bostick. Last night when they were eating I suddenly realised how big this cat has got and he is almost 6 months old. Tomorrow Bostick is officially 1 years old. Can you believe it. They grow up so quickly.

Reply to KAZ
Posted by: Carol | 2007/06/20

Kaz I meant to tell you with your email .... but i forgot cos telskommel is up to maggots as usual.

Kittens dont automatically hate dogs but if they dont know dogs they will be scared .. so with any new kitty dont do introductions too quickly .. rather first let kitty smell the area where the dog has been... and then use a baby gate or something similar so that kitty can see the dog , but the dog cant get too close .... this way kitty will feel safe .....

I have done this every time time with new kitties and within 3/4 days kitty is usually nosy ebough to "check" out this new pooch ..... just keep pooch quiet and all will be well.

All 11 of my cats are fine with dogs .

Reply to Carol