Question
Posted by: Orphan | 2006/04/12

Rescued horses - struggle with weight gain

I have recently rescued race horses from a farm where they had not been fed for 6 months and only living off the grass.
I am currently feeding lucerne as well as concentrate, 12 %, 6 kg per horse per day but not seeing much of an improvement. Am I expecting too much too soon - how long does this process normally take before they show an noticiable improvement? Would using steriods on them (2 fillies and 2 geldings) be benafiicial or do more harm (I don't approve of it but have heard that it gets good results quickly?)

I'm sorry, but none of us at Cybervet work with horses. Please contact your nearest veterinarian who does work with horses for specific advice.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: Sheryl | 2006/04/12

Hi Orphan

Where about are you? The Cart Horse Protection Association
in the Cape would be able to advise you. Their telephone
number is 021-535-3435.

Reply to Sheryl
Posted by: reader | 2006/04/12

Could this not maybe worms. a friend rescued a horse and he also did not pick up weight and then was adviced to give a dose of worm medicine and what a diffrence. (there was a special one that she used which killers all types of worms at one go.)

Reply to reader